Tips for Staying Safe
Wednesday, October 16, 2002; Page A14
Police yesterday offered these tips for protection against sniper-style shootings:
• While outside, try to keep moving. A moving target is more difficult to hit than one that is standing still.
• If you must remain in one place in an area where you feel vulnerable, select the darkest part of the area to sit or stand in.
• When moving outside, walk briskly in a zigzag pattern.
• If you must stand outside, try to keep some type of protective cover between yourself and any open areas where a sniper might be located. For example, if you are fueling your car, stand between your vehicle and the gas pump and bend your knees to lower your profile.
• If you are fired on in an open area, drop to the ground and roll away from where you were standing. Look for the closest protective cover and run toward it in short, zigzag dashes.
• Be constantly aware of your surroundings while outside. Note any suspicious vehicles or activities, move away from them and report them to the police.
• Remember that a sniper with the right equipment can shoot accurately from about 500 yards away, the equivalent of five football fields.