Al-Qaeda suspect's teen bride plans to sue US
August 18, 2003 - Sydney Morning Herald
The 16-year-old widow of an al-Qaeda suspect plans legal action against police and security agencies for the shooting death of her husband in a raid on their home in northwest Pakistan last week.
Abdul Rahman Libi, a Libyan national, was killed in a gunbattle last Thursday in Peshawar, the capital of Pakistan's North West Frontier province, after intelligence agents received a tip that al-Qaeda men were hiding in the home.
Another al-Qaeda suspect, Abu Suhail, also believed to be from Libya, escaped.
In a statement today, Khadija Rahman denied any links between her husband and terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda network.
"My husband had a valid passport and Pakistani visa. He was not an al-Qaeda member," she said.
Khadija, a Pakistani who had married Libi three months ago, said she would file the lawsuit "for illegally raiding our home and killing my husband."
An intelligence official, who participated in the raid, told The Associated Press that police believe Libi and his associate were members of al-Qaeda. However, he didn't say what evidence linked the men to al-Qaeda.
During the firefight Libi tossed a grenade at police, the intelligence official said, adding that a manhunt was on for Suhail.
"We are on the right track," he said.
Pakistan, a key ally in the US-led war on terror in Afghanistan, has arrested nearly 500 suspected al-Qaeda men, most of whom have been handed over to the United States.
In March 2003, Pakistani police and intelligence agencies arrested Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, one of al-Qaeda's top leaders. He was caught near the capital, Islamabad, about 150 kilometres southeast of Peshawar.
Pakistan's deeply tribal and conservative North West Frontier Province borders Afghanistan where coalition forces are hunting al-Qaeda and Taliban fugitives.
This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/08/18/1061059770050.html