Now lets get this straight amidst all the hoopla. Pres Bush made a fast political stop at the Baghdad airport, then ran for it. This is not really a visit to Iraq. What it is on the whole is a make use of media for re-election purposes gambit -- one to help replace the carrier ship 'Mission Accomplished' and not-sure-when-to-clink give-me-a-coke visit to the British Queen.
Recent Presidential War Zone Visits
• 1952: Dwight D. Eisenhower, then president-elect, visited Korean battle fronts in December.
• 1966 and 1967: President Lyndon B. Johnson made two wartime trips to Vietnam, visiting troops at the U.S. military command at Cam Ranh Bay.
• 1969: President Richard M. Nixon visited troops at Dian, about 12 miles south of what was then known as Saigon.
• 1990: President George H.W. Bush visited U.S. troops at a desert outpost in Saudi Arabia on Thanksgiving Day, in the run-up to the Persian Gulf War.
• 1999: President Bill Clinton addressed Kosovar refugees and NATO military personnel in Macedonia, two weeks after end of NATO airstrikes to drive Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic out of Kosovo. Five months later, Clinton addressed Albanians and shared a Thanksgiving dinner with U.S. troops in Kosovo.
• 2003: President Bush paid a Thanksgiving Day visit to U.S. soldiers in a mess hall at Baghdad International Airport.
-- Associated Press