Palestine Monitor -
Thursday, July 15, 2004
The Israel occupation Forces on Wednesday opened fire on a United Nations convoy delivering humanitarian supplies to the Gaza Strip town of Beit Hanoun.
A top local UN official and an Associated Press photographer were among the people traveling in the convoy.
Witnesses said the convoy, which included 12 trucks carrying flour, rice, milk, canned goods and medical supplies, was fired on by tank guns shortly after entering Beit Hanoun.
The people on the convoy - including the head of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency in the Gaza Strip, Peter Hansen, and an Associated Press photographer - were forced to take cover in a nearby building, the witnesses said.
The firing stopped about 25 minutes after talks with military officials, and the convoy resumed its delivery. UN officials said the delivery had been coordinated with the Israeli army.
Beit Hanun is facing an appalling humanitarian situation having been under full military siege for three weeks. The 45,000 residents are suffering from the lack of food, water, electricity and other services.
In the three weeks since June 22, 14 Palestinians have been killed in Biet Hanun, and 82 injured.